Göynük’s history is intertwined with Roman, Byzantine and Anatolian history.
It is expressed in the historical books of the Roman Military Highway known as “Dadastan” and now known as “GÖYNÜK”.
The oldest known name of Göynük is Koinon Gallicanon. Here, in the towns of Susuz, Kilciler, Narzanlar and Boyacılar, and in the vicinity of these villages, there are writings belonging to the Byzantine period. There is also some residues around church in Kilciler Village.
When the Anatolian Seljuk State was demolished, the center of Umurbey Khan, which is among the established principals, became GÖYNÜK. As a result of the conflicts with the Byzantines, the Ottomans conquered GÖYNUK from the hands of the Umurbey Khan state. Gazi Süleyman Pasha, the son of Orhan Gazinin, settled in Göynük and built a magnificent mosque and a Turkish bath, which is called here by his own name. This magnificent mosque and hamam, which is the architectural work of the founding period of the Ottoman Empire, is still being used. Yıldırım Beyazıt, who agreed with the Byzantine Emperor Yuannis after Istanbul was besieged for the second time, placed some people from nearby Göynük in Istanbul for the Islamic Quarter established here. However, when the deal was broken, the Göynüklü’s left Istanbul and founded GÖYNÜK Village in Tekirdağ.
In 1453, in the conquest of Istanbul, Fatih Sultan Mehmet Khan’s teacher was AKSEMSEDDIN, and he also realized that he was a great contributor to the Conquest. AKSEMSEDDIN found the tomb of Eyüp Sultan and at the same time discovered the microbe vaccine centuries before the Pastor. Akşemseddin retired after the conquest of Istanbul, settled in Göynük, lived here for 15 years and died in Göynük. This person’s grave is at GÖYNÜK. Meanwhile, the grave of Hazrat Debbag Dede and Ömer Sıkkını, who are important figures, is located in GÖYNÜK. When the administrative organization was reestablished in the Republican Period, Bolu became the city and Göynük, Düzce, Gerede and Mudurnu were the first provinces of Bolu. Currently GÖYNÜK is a Province affiliated to Bolu. In 1923, the first district governor of the county was Hurşit Bey, and during this period he built the Tower of Victory on the top of the county in memory of the Victory of Liberation. Presently this tower is preserved as a monumental structure. On the last week of May every year, there are activities on the day of commemoration of Hazrat Akşemseddin in the district.
Göynük is one of the most important Ottoman towns that have not been ruined.
It is decorated with historical values such as houses, workplaces, baths, tombs, and historic plane trees which are about 700 years old and they are still functioning.
Our previous article The Kefken Beach in our article titled cebeci, cebeci beach ve kefken beach provides information about.